Jun29

Dear Gay Community: ‘Enough with the heterophobia’

CREATED ON // Sunday, 29 June 2014 Written by // Glenn Hansen

Recently there has been so much discussion on Facebook and other websites about banning or keeping straight people out of gay venues.

The hatred displayed by some people on forums is disgusting and I feel terrible that they want to discriminate and hurt others just for being heterosexual.

As someone who has fought hard for equality, I find this a very backward step.

I don’t want to be discriminated against when entering a predominately straight bar or restaurant.

I want to be able to get a job in any company and not hide my sexuality and not be discriminated against.

I want to be myself with my partner and be accepted where ever we go, and in order for this to happen I must accept others.

view-heter-phobia

Above: Straight people are not our enemy. Discrimination against heterosexual is not on.

I realise there is still homophobia in our community and it is important to have our gay bars and safe venues, but we must not discriminate and hate on heterosexuals.

They are our parents, brothers, sisters and friends, and they deserve the same respect we demand.

The main thing is that we live in a society that has no tolerance of violence and we learn to accept people of all sexualities, race and colour.

I am finding more and more people wanting to be heterophobes and forgetting what the word ‘equality’ stands for.

I saw a great ad for a gay accommodation hotel Axel in Berlin that stated it was ‘hetero-friendly’.

We all know what wonderful gay people the straight people helped create.

Let’s be thankful how far we have come even though the struggle is not over.

One day I hope to live in a society where choose like this don’t even need to be written.

Hopefully the day will come when I can marry whom I choose, live where I choose and explore this amazing world, knowing everyone is equal.

This is only my view of the world I want to live in.

Glenn Hansen

Glenn Hansen

Glenn Hansen is the Marketing and Promotions Manager of Stonewall Hotel in Sydney.

Comments (13)

• Xavier

01 July 2014 at 19:01 |
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with having some mainly gay venues. If straights can go out any night of the week and be surrounded by likeminded people then so should we be able to. I dont mind partying with friendly straights at all in specific mixed venues but Im really sick of every gay venue becoming straight. Its bullshit. We need to feel safe and have a place where we belong just like anyone does.
    • michael

30 July 2014 at 23:11 |
      here here!
  • Dave

30 June 2014 at 17:52 |
    We live in time we do not have equal rights because homophobes dominate the political space. A time when you can study hard, but still be denied a job not because of your ability, but because of your sexuality. The School Chaplains incarnation is the latest attempt to stop us being treated equally. Billions are spent on everything from soup kitchens to hospitals, but even though this is tax payers money, religious businesses can still deny a job or sack us, because of our sexuality.

Every year, some of us face gruesome deaths, because of our sexuality, and some of us are left with a permanent disability, because some hetro homophobic bigot felt entitled.

We live in a homophobic land. Our freedom to marry is denied, and we are treated as second class by the political elite.

The fact we have not rioted is a demonstration our community is not hetrophobic. I can understand some people want safe places, some people want a night out hassle free.
  • Jack

30 June 2014 at 16:49 |
    How can you say discrimination is the enemy and then say we should have black only & hay only bars? Do you actually know what the word means, or do you just parrot things that you read on the Internet?
  • @BlueturtleADL

30 June 2014 at 14:21 |
    Our one gay night club in Adelaide is now only open on Fri/Sat nights. On a Saturday night it’s 70% straight, mostly women but increasingly their boyfriends too and guys looking to pick up women. When I was subjected to homophobia there one night last year on the dance floor, it was the last night I went there. So, I live in a city of a million people and I can't go out dancing on a Saturday night to a safe predominantly gay venue any more.

Rather than reprinting puff pieces by venue marketing people, maybe GNN could assign a journo to interview Mr Hanson about homophobia inside gay venues. I'll even give you the first question:

"This venue is named after the bar in NYC that is widely recognised as the birthplace of the gay liberation movement. What steps is the Stonewall Hotel taking to stamp out the reported homophobia going on inside your venue?"

And there's a wrong word in Mr Hanson’s copy.
  • Laura

30 June 2014 at 14:07 |
    Perhaps rather than having segregated venues for straight and LBGT, we could all just get over the bullshit and go out to enjoy ourselves?
    I understand that it can be hard to know who is straight and who is not, but rather than drawing a line on who can interact, why not just keep the problem people out? (ie. women who can't kee their hands to themselves and men who can't interact in a civil manner, as mentioned in previous comments)

Integration and acceptance is not going to come easily if we can't even go to the same watering hole.. Just saying.
  • Alex

30 June 2014 at 13:34 |
    I totally agree with the poster above. No such thing as heterophobia. Gay people want a safe place to not have to worry about straight people. Furthermore, I trust that the poster above also agrees we honestly don't have enough black-only clubs, where they can refuse entry to white people. Not racist, they just want to have a safe place to not have to worry about white people.

Straight people aren't the enemy. Discrimination is.
  • Lee

30 June 2014 at 11:57 |
    You can't always judge a person's sexuality just by being around them or looking at them. Most people assume I'm a straight girl and I would be really offended if I was refused entry to any place for that. Not everyone wears their sexuality on their sleeve.

Yes, society needs A LOT of adjusting, but there are a lot of straight people are on our side and singling them out and being prejudiced towards our own cause isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

Also, there are idiots at straight clubs just as much as straight idiots other clubs. It's not about sexuality but about ignorance and people's being generally... really dumb.
  • Steven Cartet

29 June 2014 at 20:34 |
    Being from Melbourne, where we are lucky to have the one True Gay Bar in the country that caters completely & loyaly to The LGBT Community over the straight dollar I have been spoiled.
    When I recently went to what Sydney considers a "gay bar", I was shocked to be surrounded by needy agressive straight women who felt entitled to molest me & equally agressive Straight men who glared at my proximity.
    I felt uncomfortable being In a straight environment where gay men were the undetectable minority.
    Sadly this is becoming the norm in "gay bars" around the country.
  • Angelica

29 June 2014 at 20:05 |
    Gay pride wish to parade their sexuality in public. That's fine with me, but we trans people elect to keep ours personal and private. Heterosexual community is far more respectful of our wishes than gay 'pride' TERFs.
    Cinsequently I like the heterosexuals and as far as I'm concerned the 'LGB' does not include 'T'.
  • Joshua

29 June 2014 at 19:57 |
    I've been staring, dumbfounded, at this article for an hour or so and unable to really verbalise how it's transparently obvious what the motivation behind it is — this has nothing to do with "heterophobia" — a crock of shit term that, like "reverse racism," doesn't actually exist — but it's about the management of Stonewall focusing more on making money than addressing the needs, concerns and safety of the customer base they are otherwise happy to capitalise upon.

A weekend has not passed where I have not received unwanted physical attention from a woman at Stonewall — whether it's someone grabbing my arms, trying to lift up my shirt, or in several instances groping me and getting upset when I make it clear that I don't appreciate that sort of contact (even from guys who I don't know.) This is, of course, nothing as bad as what women have to put up with by straight guys in straight venues, which is why they've gravitated to gay ones in the first place, but when the predominant crowd at a gay bar is straight women and straight men trying to pick up, it changes the atmosphere and makes it uncomfortable for the supposed primary demographic.

I cannot count how many times straight guys have been physically aggressive, rude, or nasty at Stonewall. I have been subjected to the same gay slurs at this gay venue as I have been walking down the street in Kings Cross.

Reporting these incidents to security is an exercise in futility — and with the mentality on display by the "marketing and promotions manager" it's no surprise why. Clearly this is an attitude that filters down from the top.

My advice to you is that if you want to own and operate a straight bar, or even a mixed venue, then be upfront and clear to your customers. Don't half-ass an interest in the LGBT community when you won't, in any way, shape or fashion, stick your neck out for it. You guys get away with it because there's all of three choices on Oxford st, but don't mistake that for some sort of brand loyalty.
    • michael

30 July 2014 at 23:16 |
      yup -
  • xto

29 June 2014 at 18:16 |
    Like all things, its a few people that spoil stuff for everyone. Most of the few straight people at venues are fine but there always a few idiots that prompt people to write comments like this, just last night i heard some straight person yelling out "show us your tits" to a drag queen while doing a show... THOSE kinds of str8 people are the ones who cause people to react this way, and its their friends who need to educate them, its not our job as gay people