Vote now for GLORIAs 2012
The shortlist for this year’s GLORIAs has been decided and voting is now open online.
Each year the community is invited to vote for the most outrageous, ignorant and ridiculous comments made about LGBTI people and their families by prominent people in Australia and internationally.
The Gay & Lesbian Outrageous, Ridiculous and Ignorant comment Awards, now in their third year, turn the spotlight on homophobia and transphobia in our society, whether it be the media, politics, sport, religion or from within the LGBTI community itself.
NSW Labor MLC Penny Sharpe, who is the driving force behind the GLORIAs, says people should “vote early and vote often”.
“This year we have received a bumper crop of over 80 nominations from around the world,” Sharpe said.
“A significant number from the political category came from the Federal Parliament’s debate on marriage equality.”
Nominations for this year’s GLORIAs include:
- SA Senator Cory Bernardi in the Politics/Law category for linking gay marriage to bestiality;
- Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the International category for saying homosexuality is ugly behaviour;
- Miranda Devine in the Media category, for her article linking gay marriage to the London riots;
- In the Religion category, Major Andrew Craibe a senior Salvation Army official who said that non-celibate LGBT people should be put to death;
- Margaret Court and Jason Akermanis are competing for the worst Sports comment award;
- Rupert Everett for the silliest GLBTI comment from within the GLBTI community for saying ‘I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads’.
The winners in each category will be decided by an online voting process and announced at the awards night on October 24 at NSW Parliament House.
“This year we are very excited to have author and journalist David Marr as our host, and very special guest Joyce Maynge,” Sharpe revealed.
“The penultimate prize, the Golden GLORIA, for the worst comment of the year will be decided by those attending the awards via a ‘boo off’.”
To vote go to www.theglorias.com.au. Voting continues right up until 5pm on the awards night, Wednesday October 24 2012. Tickets for the awards night are selling fast. To book yours go to www.theglorias.com.au