aids2014 web

  • Home
  • News
  • SGLMG sets up Trans* Intersex working group
1.30am lockouts to start on February 24
Feb05

1.30am lockouts to start on February 24

LAST UPDATED // Wednesday, 05 February 2014 12:09 Written by // Cec Busby

NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell has announced the new laws requiring pubs and bars to impose 1.30am lockouts and 3am last drinks will now come into force on February 24.

Previously it was expected the new laws would be enforced from April.

O'Farrell has announced fines for venues that fail to comply with the new laws.

“I expect the vast majority of venues will do the right thing and implement the new trading conditions without incident,” O’Farrell said.

“However, any failure to comply can result in fines of up to $11,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 12 months – and is an offence that can incur a strike under the NSW Government’s Three Strikes disciplinary scheme."

The changes that will come into effect on Monday February 24 include:

  • Creation of the new Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct;
  • 1.30am lockouts enforced at hotels, registered clubs, nightclubs and karaoke bars across the Sydney CBD Entertainment and Kings Cross Precincts;
  • 3am cease service of alcohol in those venues across the Sydney CBD Entertainment and Kings Cross Precincts;
  • Introduction of temporary banning orders for troublemakers in the Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct;
  • A freeze on new liquor licences and approvals for existing licences across the new Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct; and
  • A ban on takeaway alcohol sales after 10pm across NSW.

 An information and awareness campaign targeting both licensed venues and consumers will be rolled out to alert them to the new restrictions. This will include direct notification to affected licensees, briefings for liquor accords and industry peak bodies, signage and flyers for licensed venues, and advertising.

A Plan of Management is being developed for the Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct which will impose additional special licence conditions on venues in the precinct from April. These measures could include a range of conditions such as bans on glass, drink restrictions and requirements for RSA marshals.

 A free buss service connecting Kings Cross tothe CBDs existing NightRide service has already commenced.

“Recent violent incidents have demanded strong action," said O'Farrell. "The NSW Government is determined to put in place these measures as soon as possible to make our streets safer and tackle drug and alcohol abuse in our community."

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Cec Busby

Cec Busby

Cec Busby is the news editor of SX and GayNewsNetwork.com.au.

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest. Optional login below.